Health fraud falls into two broad classes - telling people lies that may kill them or someone else, and stealing from people by selling bogus medicines. The sites listed here provide useful information in the battle against quackery and for people just wanting to find out more about how real medicine works. (A list of sites offering suspect or fraudulent medical advice, products and services can be found at The Millenium Project.)
Articles and other comments in The Millenium Project relevant to health fraud and quackery.
Some articles by other people.
books about Health Fraud.
- Alternative Healthcare : A Comprehensive Guide by Jack Raso and Stephen Barrett (Editor).
- Attachment Therapy on Trial : The Torture and Death of Candace Newmaker by Jean Mercer, Larry Sarner and Linda Rosa
- Autism's False Prophets : Bad Science, Risky Medicine, and the Search for a Cure by Paul A. Offit
- Bad Medicine : Misconceptions and Misuses Revealed, from Distance Healing to Vitamin O by Christopher Wanjek
- Bad Science by Ben Goldacre
- The Beginner's Guide to Winning the Nobel Prize by Peter Doherty
- The Best Australian Science Writing 2011 by Stephen Pincock (ed.)
- Blind Faith by Ben Elton
- Bullshit! Season 1 DVD by Penn & Teller
- Bullshit! Season 2 DVD by Penn & Teller
- Bullshit! Season 3 DVD by Penn & Teller
- Bullshit! Season 4 DVD by Penn & Teller
- Chemical Sensitivity : The Truth About Environmental Illness by Stephen Barrett and Ronald E. Gots
- Chiropractic : The Victim's Perspective by George Magner
- Chiropractic the greatest hoax of the Century? by L. A. Chotkowski
- Christian Science by Mark Twain
- A Consumers Guide to Alternative Medicine by Kurt Butler and Stephen Barrett (Editor)
- Consumer's Guide to Alternative Therapies for the Horse by David Ramey
- Denying AIDS by Seth Kalichman
- The Dose Makes the Poison : A Plain-Language Guide to Toxicology by Alice Ottoboni
- Facts Versus Fears : A Review of the Greatest Unfounded Health Scares of Recent Times by Adam J. Lieberman and Simona C. Kwon
- The Faith Healers by James Randi
- Fear of Food : Environmentalist Scams, Media Mendacity, and the Law of Disparagement by Andrea Arnold
- The Healing Revelations of Mary Baker Eddy : The Rise and Fall of Christian Science by Martin Gardner
- The Health Robbers : A Close Look at Quackery in America by Stephen Barrett
- I'm No Quack : A Book of Doctor Cartoons by Danny Shanahan
- Inside Chiropractic : A Patient's Guide by Samuel Homola and Stephen Barrett (Editor)
- Integrating Complementary Medicine in Primary Care: A Practical Guide for Healthcare Professionals by David Peters (Editor), Leon Chaitow, Gerry Harris and Sue Morrison
- Miracle Mongers and Their Methods by Harry Houdini
- Mystical Diets: Paranormal, Spiritual, and Occult Nutrition Practices by Jack Raso and Stephen Barrett (Editor)
- The Naked Chiropractor Insider's Guide to Combating Quackery and Winning the War Against Pain by Preston H. Long
- Panic in the Pantry : Facts & Fallacies About the Food You Buy by Elizabeth Whelan and Fredrick Stare
- Pseudodoxia Epidemica : Or, Enquiries into Very Many Received Tenentes, and Commonly Presumed Truths by Thomas Browne
- Sandra Schmirler : The Queen of Curling. by Perry Lefko and Shannon England
- Snake Oil and Other Preoccupations by John Diamond
- Spin Doctors: The Chiropractic Industry Under Examination by Paul Benedetti and Wayne Macphail
- Suckers : How Alternative Medicine Makes Fools of Us All by Rose Shapiro
- Superstition : Belief in the Age of Science by Robert Park
- Therapeutic Touch by Bela Scheiber and Carla Selby
- Things I Think About - Volume 1 by Peter Bowditch
- Trick Or Treatment? : Alternative Medicine On Trial by Simon Singh and Edzard Ernst
- Tyler's Honest Herbal : A Sensible Guide to the Use of Herbs and Related Remedies by Steven Foster and Varro E. Tyler
- Vitamin Politics by John J. Fried and Stephen J. Barrett (Editor)
- The Vitamin Pushers by Stephen Barrett
Books with reviews:
Books relating to other categories can be found here.
My state government has set up a committee to look at medical quackery. You can see some of the reactions here.
sites listed in this category. Please click here for a listing with brief descriptions of the entries.
125 Fake Cancer 'Cures' Consumers Should Avoid 90% of all claims about the problems with medical studies are wrong (Scott Alexander) About Herbs, Botanicals & Other Products (Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center) Advocates for Children in Therapy AllRefer Health Alternative Medicine and Cancer (Peter Moran) Alzheimer Myths (dental amalgam, aspartame, Ö) American Academy of Pediatrics American Council on Science and Health American Medical Association Journal of Ethics Americans for Medical Progress Are you a quack? The Aspartame Home Page Association of Online Cancer Resources Australian Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting System Australian Clinical Trials Australian Competition and Consumer Commission The Australian False Memory Association Australian Family Physician Australian New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry The Australian Nutrition Foundation Inc (Nutrition Australia) Australian Patient Safety Foundation Australian Prescriber Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASDs) Bad Science (BG) (Ben Goldacre) Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Biomedical Search - Medical Research and Health Resources British Medical Journal CancerGuide (Steve Dunn) CDC - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine Children's Healthcare Is a Legal Duty (CHILD, Inc.) Chirobase (Stephen Barrett) Clinical Trials - TGA Clinical Trials Register The Cochrane Collaboration The Cochrane Library The Cochrane Library (Australian access) Code of Conduct for health providers in NSW The Commission for Scientific Medicine and Mental Health Communicable Diseases Intelligence Complaining to the HCCC Credentialling Solutions Current Issues in Alternative Medicine David Ramey, DVM DC's Improbable Science (David Colquhoun) Debunking Thought Field Therapy (Brandon Gaudiano) Diffusion Radio Diluted Thinking in Australian Health Care (Christine Bayne) Directory of Open Access Journals The Drug Industry Document Archive DrugWatch.com Evidence, Please. (Jo Alabaster) The Expanded Dictionary of Metaphysical Healthcare, Alternative Medicine, Paranormal Healing, and Related Methods (Jack Raso) Facts Versus Fears (ACSH) Federal Trade Commission Fighting Spurious Complementary & Alternative Medicine (SCAM) Food and Drug Administration Free Medical Journals Freeminds Friends of Science in Medicine Good Thinking (Simon Singh) Hahnemann's Organon Of Medicine Health Care Complaints Commission (NSW) Health Information (Loretta Marron) Healthline Healthwatcher (Terry Polevoy) Healthy Skepticism Hell's News Stand How does homeopathy work? The Immune System and the Nervous System Immunology index (Kevin J. McElwee) Infectious Diseases in Children The Infectious Diseases Society of America Information for Consumers (Drugs) International AIDS Society Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) Kids Come First Kimball's Biology Pages (John Kimball) Laetrile/Amygdalin The Lancet Leandra Smith's Experience with Hulda Clark Levels of Evidence for Human Studies of Cancer - Complementary and Alternative Medicine The LymphoSite (Tom Sidwell) MD Consult The Measles & Rubella Initiative Media Doctor The Medical Journal of Australia Medkinetics MEDLINEplus: Medical Dictionary MEDLINEplus: Medical Encyclopedia The Merck Manuals The Museum of Questionable Medical Devices (Bob McCoy) myDr Narconon Exposed The National Cancer Institute National Cancer Institute - News releases The National Council Against Health Fraud National Fraud Information Center The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases National Library of Medicine, Medlineplus Health Fraud National Patient Safety Foundation National Prescribing Service The New England Journal of Medicine NIAID Division of AIDS NIAID's HIV/AIDS Research Program The NSW Public Health Bulletin Nutra-Smart.net (Stuart Adams) Operation Cure.All (US Federal Trade Commission) PATH (Program for Appropriate Technology in Health) Persiflagers Annotated Compendium of Infections Disease Facts, Opinion and Dogma (Mark Crislip) Pharmaceutical & Medical Abbreviation Dictionary Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme Potential Forensic Significance of Traditional Herbal Medicines Pressure Ulcer Resource Guide (Jennifer Hamilton) Probability and Statistics -- from MathWorld Pseudodoxia Epidemica : or, Enquiries Into very many Received Tenents And commonly presumed Truths. (Sir Thomas Browne) PubMed The Quack Doctor QuackCast (Mark Crislip) The Quack-Files (Paul Lee) The Quackometer (Andy Lewis) Quackwatch (Stephen Barrett) Quantum Quackery (Victor J. Stenger) Recovered Memory Therapy in Australia Regulation of advertising of therapeutic goods in Australia Respectful Insolence Rosemary Jacob's argyria introduction page (Rosemary Jacobs) Science at Home (Deb Hodgkin) Science Based Medicine Science Business (David Shaywitz) Science, Reason and Critical Thinking (Crispian Jago) The Scientific Review of Alternative Medicine The Scientific Review of Mental Health Practice Sense About Science Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings About Herbs Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings About Vitamins and Supplements The SkepDoc (Harriet Hall) The Skeptical OB (Dr. Amy Tuteur) Skeptical Raptor The Skeptic's Dictionary - Alternative Medicine (Robert T. Carroll) Skeptics' Stack Exchange Steelclaws on Snake Oil Stop Sylvia Browne (Robert Lancaster) Stuff and Nonsense Taubman Medical Library Homeopathy Collection Terra Sigillata Therapeutic Goods Administration (Australia) Therapeutic Goods Administration (Australia) - Complaints Resolution Panel Therapeutic Goods Advertising Code Council (Australia) The Toadstool Millionaires: A Social History of Patent Medicines in America before Federal Regulation (James Harvey Young PhD) The Truth, Myths and Lies About the Health and Diet of the "Long-Lived" People of Hunza, Pakistan, Hunza Bread and Pie Recipes Unorthodox Techniques for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Allergy, Asthma and Immune Disorders (ASCIA) Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments (Justin Kruger and David Dunning) The View From The Hills (Rosalie Hilleman) What's The Harm? (Tim Farley) The White Coat Underground